Sunday 10 July 2016

Front loom legs & Horn

Whilst I await the bolts I have ordered to fit the diff plate I am making I decided I would tackle fitting the loom into the front wings and hooking them up to the headlights and sidelights.

Starting with the offside (drivers) wing I fed through the loom leg and then fitted AMP Weather proof connectors to the headlight and sidelight wires on the loom. Cue a visit from Mr Cockup, something I would not notice until later down the line.

I proceeded to add AMP Weatherproof connectors to the headlight and sidelight, making an earth wire for the sidelight which fitted with an M5 insulated ring connector.

The horn, which is just a simple low tone, twin terminal universal horn from e-bay (cost
about £7) just has two 6mm spade connectors which connect to two 6mm female spade connectors which you fit onto the wires on the loom. Fitting the horn itself is very easy as you can just drill an 8mm hole in the wing and put a bolt through.

Then it was time to push all the wires into place and tighten up the zip ties.

And there I was all pleased with myself for a job well done.


But hang on.....

Suddenly it dawned on me that I needed to disconnect the headlight for the paint job, but the AMP connector was half way down the wing zip tied into position onto the lengthy wires from the headlight loom.

Why I hear you ask?

Well, in order to ensure that the earth wire is in the right position and that the horn wires fit without too much excess that's simply where the wires ended up.

What I hadn't realised is that I needed to extend the loom wires using the long loom from the headlight and then fit the removable AMP connector much nearer the headlight. So another hour was spent cutting the loom nearer the lamp and fitting another connector there so the headlight could be removed for paint.




Suffice to say I didn't make the same mistake in the other wing, instead I extended the wires using crimp connectors and then fitted the AMP connector next to the headlight.

I will post pictures of the other wing once done as I still need to fit the fan wire and finish tidying up around where you need to cut a slot for the alternator.

For the regular readers - I have now received the quick connect battery terminals and fitted them too so the last jobs on the back end of the car are the diff cover and gas struts (I forgot to add gas struts to the list before). I'm just awaiting the struts from AK but I'll wait to fit them until I am ready to fit the bonnet which will be a few weeks yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment