Sunday 24 July 2016

Customising the AK Loom

Now I need to move onto re-wiring the engine bay and the first job is to customise the AK loom.

This is for two reasons;

First of all I am just not happy with the alternator charging wire that AK provide. Its a thick red wire which runs from the alternator (along with the blue wire) down the loom conduit to the starter motor (where there is two red wires and a white wire). This is not because its substandard in any way but I have installed a high rated polished alternator that outputs 150 amps (typically these run at 110 - 130amp) therefore I wanted to use proper battery wire rated to 170 amp. Removing this wire is fairly easy, you just need to remove some of the insulation tape on the loom and pull the wire out then re-tape the loom.

The next change is to cut off the branch of the loom that goes to the tacho as I have installed an electronic vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on the T56 gearbox. I haven't removed these wires entirely, I've just taped them up and put them into the main loom conduit, just in case they were ever needed in the future.

The picture below shows the VSS wire, along with the reverse lockout wires, reverse light wires and fuel pump positive wire which I have fed through the tunnel to behind where the dash will sit. These will be wired in at a later date. 




Finally, I added a bit of thicker conduit on one section of the loom. This is simply to make it easier to attach to the engine bay as it goes up the side of the engine block. 




Next weekend will be working on routing the battery wires into the engine bay and from the alternator to the starter motor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment