Sunday 24 January 2016

Head meet brick wall!

The Mrs was heading out with friends this weekend so the plan was to achieve loads of little jobs on the car. You can probably tell it didn't quite work out that way!

The new water gaskets had arrived so the first job was to refit the water pump and build up the engine coolant system so I could run it again. As I was mounting it I noticed that one of the bolts was much shorter than the others and only about 3 threads were entering the block - probably the cause of my issue in the first place.

So after kicking myself for not noticing this in the first place I drove around all the diy shops locally to source another and they were all closed. By this time I was fairly annoyed so I ordered another bolt from ebay and moved onto the next job.

Next up was to fit the power steering lines now that I had good access with the radiator header tank being removed. This job actually went really well and I'm pleased with the result. After connecting the main pipe with two M6 rivnuts and bolts I decided to follow its lines with the return pipe and cable ties. 


Next up was to drill and tap the holes for the water bottle. Time for the next issue.

As you can see from below the washer bottle is fouling on the air intake pipe whereas I have 15mm clearance on the radiator header tank. I've emailed AK in the hopes they will modify it for me as a welder is one thing I don't have.


So then I decided to look at painting the wheel arches with isoflex rubber. Unfortunately the tin said it will dry within weeks once opened and I didnt have time to do the whole job so that was out the window until another day.

Onto fitting the front indicators...but my verniers battery had gone flat so I couldn't measure up!

This was all on top of last weeks fitting of the P700 which went well until fitting the outer ring. After a call to S&J it turns out they hadnt given me some clips I needed so they are now in the post on their way to me. 

Weekends like these test your patience on these builds, but I'm sure once I have the parts and fire it up again it'll soon put a smile back on my face.

Time to go get a Sunday roast dinner and forget about it until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment