Sunday 22 November 2015

Undo the hardwork

One of the frustrating things about building a kit car of this complexity is that amount of times you have to fit something just to take it off again later.

For example, the car looked great when it came back from AK but due to the amount of work still needed on the engine bay I had to take the exhausts back off, get the friends around to remove the body and hoist that back up to a working height and then start disconnecting the great pipework Jon at AK had done in order to fit the thermostat and polish/clean up the aluminium housing. 

I still have the polish to do and I've also order a new thermostat from ebay (US) as the delivery was much cheaper than from GM Parts Direct. This was only 40$ and I did already have one but it didnt seem to be working well and so I thought "better safe than sorry". 

Note: You can no longer buy the thermostat on its own, you get the housing with it as part of a single unit. 

The pedal box had to come back out as did the clutch and brake master cylinders.

In hindsight, I should have removed the stainless cover and then bought and fitted:

1) The heater box
2) The side vents
3) The front vent wire mesh
4) The triple nose vents
5) The brake and clutch Servo
6) Ensure all engine/gearbox work was complete

All before sending to AK as that would have saved me a load of re-work. Hopefully the readers of this blog can learn from this.

One thing I did do is mark out with tape about an inch above where the bell housing goes so when I fit the heater I can ensure I have the correct clearance.


The research on the heater system continues but there are a couple of other jobs I can do in the meantime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment